Walking Sticks

As requested by Mako. where maewix can show his models, where vanny can show his photo's and kenny can show his barbie doll collection.

Walking Sticks

Postby Aaeon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:56 am

Did this one on a day off, about 2-3 hours from cut to stain. Pics of thr finished product:

Aaeon

Re: Walking Sticks

Postby V2CxBongRipz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:09 pm

One of my teachers had a nice walking stick like that. Not finished but it had hand grips carved into it.
V2CxBongRipz
Me? Pot? Never! - Co-Leader

Postby vanity » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:17 pm

There's something satisfying about making something yourself.

What kind of wood is that?

I would like to get into wood work - I built a desk recently for my dj equipment, but mistakenly used cedar which looks beautiful, but is very fragile on the scale of things. I can't write on my desk without leaving indents from the writing :(
vanity
Overlord - Fleet Leader

Postby Aaeon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:00 pm

I make them all from single pieces of mesquite wood. Quite strong when you find a good piece and seal it. Hard to find a perfectly straight piece that's strong enough, yet easy enough to work with. If I had a huge saw I could find tons of straight pieces to use - but I'm not planing those things down by hand, screw that. People like the crooked ones better anyhow; just have to find a limb that curves back in on itself at some point, which is much easier.

Just cut about five more pieces yesterday and have two that should be done drying out. With all the deer we have I was also thinking of doing canes with white-tail, sika, fallow, or elk antler handles... never done that before though.
Aaeon

Postby V2CxBongRipz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Maybe a glass overlay for the desk? :D
V2CxBongRipz
Me? Pot? Never! - Co-Leader

Postby vanity » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:33 pm

V2CxBongRipz wrote:Maybe a glass overlay for the desk? :D

That's what my dad suggested, but it isn't as straight forward because the desk surface has an inset for dj controllers and a lid over that inset for when I don't use it so I will need to get an additional cut.

I will probably have to end up getting the glass though, but I am just waiting to get some positive cash flow :p
vanity
Overlord - Fleet Leader

Postby Aaeon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:37 pm

It hate it when a good project falls by the wayside. I've got a few of those myself. :p One I need to finish is a piece I actually found at a donation center. It's a short 2-door cabinet with a very large lazy-susan on the top (I'm guessing it was for a TV or something?). The damn thing was laying over on its' side and some asshole had painted it turqoise and burnt orange... we have a large hispanic influence here in Gonzales. Anyhow I walked over and checked the thing out, it was totally solid and nothing was wrong with it aside from being horribly ugly.

Took that baby home and started stripping the paint off, which was a very thick outdoor house-paint. What do I see but the most beautisul oak would underneath.I stripped the top of the lazy-susan thing and cherry stained it, absolutely gorgeous, but now I have to do the rest of the cabinet and all the little embellishments on it.
>.<
Aaeon

Return to Hobbies